Running a small business is never easy – but that doesn’t mean there aren’t things a small business owner can do to ease the burden. Here are some of the best tools that small business owners use to keep their company on track and in the black.
1. Managing time well: It can be daunting to manage time well in a small business, especially when the manager only reports to her- or himself. Having an agenda helps – a good, collaboration based to do list app like Wunderlist or SmartTime truly can work wonders here, as can RescueTime, which tracks computer software and internet use in a handy, chartable form – perfect for billing clients.
2. Scheduling without miscommunication: Get a good calendar, planner, or scheduling app and stick to putting every personal, professional, or miscellaneous obligation in it – every time. Remember to leave time for transportation and breaks.
3. Collaboration without fights: You can share notebooks in Evernote, Google Drive, or Wunderlist – but the best thing of all here is simply to cultivate good communication and delegation skills. Read How to Win Friends and Influence People – it’s a business classic for a reason.
4. Keeping costs low for supplies and shipping: Buy in bulk and ship without going to the post-office – stamps.com is a great way to automate the shipping process.
5. Accounting – meaning good accounting: Turbotax doesn’t cut it. If there’s one person your company needs to have, it’s a good accountant. There’s a good chance that he or she will save the company money in the long run.